Cherokee Indian Hospital Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans).
To read more about this, view the
EEO is the Law
poster and this
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Start Over with Job Search
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Dental Assistant II
Regular Full Time
Open Until Filled
Job Responsibilities & Qualifications:
The Dental Assistant II works under the direction and supervision of the Dental Assistant Supervisor. This position is primarily located at Cherokee Indian Hospital Dental Clinic. There may be some travel required in order to provide services in other locations. Under supervision, the incumbent is responsible for a variety of clinical and administrative duties established by the Dental Assistant Supervisor. The primary duties will be to perform all basic dental assistant functions in order to allow the dental team to function as efficiently as possible. This position corresponds to the State of NC Dental Assistant II (www.ncdentalboard.org/dental_assisting.html). Duties will consist of standard chairside dental assisting duties, greeting patients/visitors, patient registration, answering calls, scheduling patient appointments, filing/scanning, mail delivery, message delivery, courier service, information retrieval, sending and receiving faxes, use of copier, and to perform other standard office duties as assigned. Participates in HP/DP projects within the community.
EXPERIENCE, JOB TRAINING, EDUCATION and LICENSES:
A high school diploma or GED is required.
A minimum of two years’ experience working in a clerical, administrative, or health related field is required.
• Previous experience in a dental setting is preferred.
• Previous experience working with Dentrix Program is preferred.
• Must possess a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
• The incumbent must satisfy one of the following conditions:
1. Successful completion of:
a. An ADA accredited dental assisting program and current certification in BLS;
b. Or one (1) academic year or longer in an ADA accredited dental hygiene program and current certification in BLS; or
2. Successful completion of:
a. Full-time employment and experience as a chairside assistant for two years (3,000 hours) of the preceding five, during which the assistant may be trained in any delivery setting and allowed to perform the functions of a dental assistant II under the direct control and supervision of a licensed dentist;
b. A 3-hour course in sterilization and infection control;
c. A 3-hour course in dental office emergencies;
d. Evidence of satisfactory performance on an equivalency examination, recognized by the Board of Dental Examiners, based on seven hours of instruction on the production and use of dental x-rays and educational program of not less than seven (7) hours in clinical dental radiology; and
e. Current certification in BLS; or
3. Successful completion of the national certification examination administered by the Dental Assisting National Board, and current certification in BLS.
• A good working knowledge of dental terminology in order to accurately record treatment and examination information in patient chart, describe diseases and medical and surgical procedures, as well as standard abbreviations used by the dental staff.
• Ability to sterilize dental instruments and keep clinic clean and presentable to patients. Understands and follows Infection Control guidelines.
• Skill and dexterity in performing all intra oral and extra oral techniques.
• Knowledge of all routine dental instruments and procedures in order to prepare for and assist in all normal clinical procedures.
• A practical knowledge of the medical facility’s organization and services, the basic rules and regulations governing visitors and patient treatment, HIPAA, and practical knowledge of standard procedures and medical records.
• Knowledge of typing and basic computer skills. Familiarity with computerized based appointment scheduling.
• Knowledge of requisitioning supplies and maintaining clerical supply levels.
• Must adhere to the procedures, policies, and operational guidelines of CIHA.
• Must know specified software programs and applications, especially Outlook, Word, Publisher, Power Point, and Excel.
• Requires the ability to organize work, deal effectively with the public and staff and communicate efficiently, both verbally and in writing.
• Must be able to work as a team member of the dental group and independently.